- MS 105/I Shiell and Small, Solicitors, Dundee
- MS 105/II Dundee and Newtyle Railway Company
- MS 105/III Dundee and Perth and Aberdeen Railway Junction Company
- MS 105/IV Caledonian Railway Company
- MS 105/V Callender and Oban Railway Company
- MS 105/VI North British Railway Company
- MS 195/VII Dundee and Arbroath Railway Company
- MS 105/VIII Scottish Central Railway Company
- MS 105/IX Miscellaneous Railway Companies
- MS 105/X Miscellaneous Clients
- MS 105/XI Baxter Park Trustees
- MS 105/XII William Arklay Timber Merchant, Caledonia Saw Mills
- MS 105/XIII Dundee Corn Exchange and Public Hall Association Ltd
- MS 105/XIV Dundee Garden City Association Ltd
- MS 105/XV Eastern Bank of Scotland
- MS 105/XVI Lands of Henry Burra Esquire in Glenbucket [Glenbuchat] and Strathdon
- MS 105/XVII Standard Life Assurance Company
- MS 105/XVIII James Small, Civil [and Electrical] Engineer, London
- MS 105/XIX Insurance Company of Scotland
- MS 105/XX Executries and Trusts
- MS 105/P Maps and Plans
Shiell and Small, Solicitors
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Shiell and Small, solicitors, was founded in 1832 by John Shiell of Smithfield and David Small. It began trading in New Inn Entry before moving to larger premises in Bank Street in the 1860s. A family concern until 1891, W. Thomson Currie, who had been admitted as a co-partner, assumed control and continued the practice under the same name. Shiell and Small acted as Treasurers to the University College Dundee and the Technical Institute, served as Clerks for the Baxter Park Trust and were factors for the Dalhousie, Rossie Priory and Baldovan estates. Shiell and Small ceased trading in 1990.
Records are arranged into sub-fonds.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act and any other appropriate legislation.
Fonds level description compiled by Sarah Chubb, Archives Hub Project Archivist, February 2002.
Other Finding Aids
Descriptive list. Subject source lists and databases are also available.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies.
Conditions Governing Use
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges are made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply.
The material is original.