Comprises correspondence between Minto and Dundas (73 letters, including 39 copy letters); two letters from Lady Minto to Dundas requesting information about her husband in India; a letter from Lord Clancarty to Dundas; 6 other letters from either Minto or Dundas; and a copy of a proclamation to the inhabitants of Java dated 14 March 1811 in the name of Thomas Raffles.
Correspondence of Sir Gilbert Elliot, 1st Earl of Minto, and Robert Dundas, 2nd Viscount Melville
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Minto
- Dates of Creation1807-1812
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description83 items held in 3 boxes, manuscript.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir Gilbert Elliot, 1st Earl of Minto (1751-1814), was Governor-General of India. Robert Saunders Dundas, 2nd Viscount Melville (1771-1851), was a statesman. For fuller details of their lives and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
Other Finding Aids
Described in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#minto