- Signed Executive Minutes 1958-1974
- Audited Income and Expenditure accounts, 1958-1968
- Annual Conference Papers, 1968, 1981-4
- Sanity (CND journal), 1961-8, 1975-8, 1980-90
- Bulletin, 1958-60 (incomplete)
- Signed National Council Minutes, 1961-1975
- International Confederation for Disarmament and Peace, 1963-1982 (Peggy Duff former CND Organizing Secretary acted as the ICDP General Secretary 1963-1981, hence the survival of these papers with those of CND)
- British Council for Peace in Vietnam/National Vietnam Campaign Committee cash book, 1965-7 (papers found within those of CND)
- Various journals and pamphlets, mainly CND
- Bruce Kent papers (former secretary of CND), 1973-1990
- Youth CND, 1980-1988
- Trade Union CND, 1976-1984
- Parliamentary Committee papers, 1981-1984
- Executive and Council Minutes 1986-1989
- Project and Campaign papers' Freeze' campaign, 1983-6 ' Hard Luck', an anti-civil defence campaign, 1984-5.
Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
CND was established in 1958 as the successor to the National Committee for the abolition of Nuclear Weapon Tests, founded a year earlier. Details of its earlier history can be found in
Reference: Christopher Driver, The Disarmers (London, 1964). Reference: John Minnion and Philip Bolsover, The CND Story (London, 1983).
CND began depositing its archives in the Centre in the 1980s. Additions are made at intervals. At present only temporary box lists are available in the Centre's searchroom.
Conditions Governing Access
Some of the papers are closed. Please contact the Centre for further details.
This collection was deposited in the Centre by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament national organisation over a number of years.
Other Finding Aids
A copy of this collection-level is available in paper format in the Centre's searchroom
Early brief descriptions for the CND papers are found in the Summary Guides and Supplements to the Guide published by the Centre. A box list for the documentation from 1982-1991 and a list of CND Pamphlets, 1960s-1970s is available in paper format in the Centre's searchroom. A box list for the Bruce Kent papers, and CND Executive Council Minutes, Annual Conferences, Youth CND and publications, 1980-1990 are available in paper format in the Centre's searchroom. An interim box list has been created for the Trades Union CND (MSS.181/TUCND), 1976-1984
An authority record exists for Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (GB 0152 AAR1596).
Alternative Form Available
Some papers are available on microfiche in The Left in Britain series : Part 5The archives of the CND.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this archive, apart from the requirements of copyright law and the Data Protection Act.
No appraisal, destruction or scheduling has taken place.
Further deposits are expected.