30 Letters to Mrs Tweedie concerning her articles and pamphlets onagricultural topics from a woman's point of view, especially those resultingin the formation of the British Produce League, under the sponsorship of theEarl of Winchilsea.
TWEEDIE ETHEL BRILLIANA D 1940 AUTHORAND PHILNATHROPIST
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 COLL MISC 0354
- Dates of Creation1895-1899
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description1 volume
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Ethel Tweedie was educated at Queens College, London and in Germany. Her maininterests were philanthropy that mainly related to women and travel. Sheserved on several committees of the International Council of Women, 1899, wasa life governor of University College Hospital and St Mary's Hospital andserved on many philanthropic and charitable committees. In 1912 she receivedthe thanks of the Italian government for help to Sicilian earthquakesufferers.
She travelled widely writing many books of her experiences and after twoyears travelling in the East she exhibited three hundred watercolour sketchesat the Alpine gallery. This led to other exhibitions and one woman shows.She presented over five hundred of her world-sketches to twenty sixgovernments, institutions, Navy League, Royal Empire Society, Royal CentralAsian Society and Staff Colleges in 1939.
Her publications include:
- A Girl's Ride in Iceland (1890)
- The Oberammergau Passion Play(1890)
- A Winter Jaunt to Norway (1894)
- Danish versus English Butter-making (1895)
- Through Finland in Carts (1897)
- The First College for Women (1898)
- George Harley, or the Life of a London Physician (1899)
- Mexico as I saw It (1901)
- Behind the Footlights, and Sunn Sicily (1904)
- Porfirio Diaz, seven times President of Mexico (1906)
- Hyde Park:Its History and Romance (1908 revised edition 1930)
- Thirteen Years of a Busy Woman's Life (1912)
- America as I saw It (1913)
- Women the World Over (1914)
- My Tablecloths, few Reminiscences (1916)
- Mexico, from Diaz to the Kaiser (1917)
- Women and Soldiers (1918)
- Mainly East (1923)
- An Adventurous Journey (1926, revised cheap edition 1930)
- Me and Mine (1923)
- Tight Corners of My Adventurous Life (1933)
- My Legacy Cruise (The Peak of my Life) (1936)
The letters are arranged by date in a single volume.
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
No further listrequired.
Conditions Governing Use
APPLY TO ARCHIVIST