Comprises 6 autograph letters, including 5 from Erasmus Wilson to Jabez Hogg dated 3 August 1863-7 April 1879 and 1 from A. Morton to Jabez Hogg undated, but probably late 1881 (all with transcripts), 1 stamped-addressed envelope to Jabez Hogg postmarked 12 December 1881, 1 printed card dated 7 December 1881 sent by Sir Erasmus and Lady Wilson thanking friends for their congratulations to him, probably upon the occasion of his knighthood, 1 large portrait photograph of Erasmus Wilson, 1 photograph of Cleopatra's Needle standing on the Thames Embankment accompanied by 2 press-cuttings concerning Wilson's financing of the obelisk's transportation to London by sea in 1881, another cutting concerning him extracted from The Illustrated London News for 26 November 1881 and including a printed portrait, and an obituary on him extracted from the press in 1884.
Letters from Sir Erasmus Wilson, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 2 Wilson (2)
- Dates of Creation1863-1884
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description6 letters (11 ff. with 10 ff. conjoined in 5 pairs), 1 envelope, 1 printed card, 2 portrait photographs, and 4 press-cuttings, all held in 1 envelope, manuscript, photographs, and printed material. The material was formerly bound into a volume containing also transcripts of the letters, which is now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir William James Erasmus Wilson (1809-1884), the surgeon and President of the Royal College of Surgeons. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.