Bewailing the loss of Clive's support after his departure from India and reporting the battle between the armies of Major Caillaud and his son against that of the Shahzada. Clive is addressed using his full Persian title.
Letter to Clive from the Nawab Shuja ul Mulk.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 59 Mss Eur G37/28/2 f.12
- Alternative Id.(ark) ark:/81055/vdc_100000000644.0x0001c1
- Dates of Creation[26 Feb] 1760
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 folio
Scope and Content
From both Clive's title and the letter's contents it is clear that the letter was written in Feb 1760. However the Arabic date is 10 Rajab 1166, which approximates to 3 Jun 1753. Since Rajab fell in Feb in 1760, it seems likely that the final digits of the Arabic year were mistranslated.