Thomas Pennant's copy of his Outlines of the Globe. The View of Hindoostan. Vol. 1. Western Hindoostan (London, 1798), containing original hand-coloured and pen-and-ink drawings, the original water-colour headpiece by Moses Griffith, Junior, and extra illustrations not contained in the published work, including two engraved plates by Thomas Vivares. Pasted-in cuttings from other works include two woodcuts from Thomas Coryate, Greeting from the Court of the Great Mogul, 1616. Plates, drawings and engravings found loose inside the volume have, where possible, been tipped in between the relevant pages. Other items loose inside (23 ff.), mostly relating to the text, include notes by Thomas Pennant; a list of costs relating to the production of volumes I and II of the work; and letters (4) 1796-8 and n.d. to Thomas Pennant, including a letter, 1798, from Luigi Schiavonetti, and an undated note from Sir Elijah Impey.
Additions to Pennant's Outlines of the Globe,
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 210 NLW MS 23412E.
- Alternative Id.(alternative) vtls004650565
- Dates of Creationca. 1789-1798 /
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Descriptionxviii, 160 ff. (original pagination 1-263, with insertions, continued to end) ; 340 x 265 mm. Original paper-backed boards, spine wanting, repaired at NLW; loose papers (ff. 1-23) in wallet.
- LocationARCH/MSS (GB0210)
Scope and Content
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 23412E.
Other Finding Aids
The contents of NLW MSS 22853-23691 are indexed in greater detail in Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, vol. 9 (Aberystwyth, 2003).