Thomas Pennant's copy of his Outlines of the Globe. The View of Hindoostan. Vol. II. Eastern Hindoostan (London, 1798), containing original water-colours and hand-coloured and pen-and-ink drawings, and extra illustrations not contained in the published work. Included are two drawings by Thomas Pennant, the original water-colour headpiece by William Angus, and water-colours by Thomas Pennant and Moses Griffith, Junior. Plates, drawings and engravings found loose inside the volume have been tipped in between the relevant pages. Other items loose inside (26 ff.) relating to the work include notes by Thomas Pennant; and letters (8) 1798 to Thomas Pennant, including a letter from the Royal Society thanking him for their copy of his work, and letters from Thomas Daniell (1), John Douglas, bishop of Salisbury (3) and Patrick Russell (1).
Additions to Pennant's Outlines of the Globe,
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 210 NLW MS 23413E.
- Alternative Id.(alternative) vtls004650631
- Dates of Creation1788-1798 /
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Descriptionxii, 224 ff. (original pagination 1-374, with insertions, continued to end) ; 340 x 270 mm. Original paper-backed boards, spine wanting, repaired at NLW; loose papers (ff. 1-26) in wallet.
- LocationARCH/MSS (GB0210)
Scope and Content
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 23413E.
Other Finding Aids
The contents of NLW MSS 22853-23691 are indexed in greater detail in Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, vol. 9 (Aberystwyth, 2003).