The collection includes:
- Research notebooks of T.W. Brogden, c.1898-c.1908 (MS 59/1/1).
- Correspondence to T.W. Brogden with accompanying manuscript notes and envelopes, August 1894-February 1925 (MS 59/1/2).
- Loose manuscript notes of T W Brogden, 1895 (MS 59/1/3).
- Photographs and printed images from secondary sources (MS 59/1/4).
- Newspaper cuttings, January 1894-June 1909 (MS 59/1/5).
- Correspondence from Captain William Siborne to Sir John Philippart, April 1833-July 1848 (MS 59/2).
The papers in the collection are primarily concerned with the events, personalities andhistoriography of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. None are contemporaneous with the battle but theycontain a vast amount of information spanning almost 80 years of research. Correspondents withBrogden include Major General Herbert Taylor Siborne (MS 59/1/2/23,25), the Third Earl Cathcart (MS59/1/2/2-5,7-19), and Major R R Ward (MS 59/1/2/33-34).