Comprises thirty-two autograph or typed letters from Sean O'Casey to Seamus Scully, written from Totnes or Torquay and dated 15 October 1949 - 3 November 1960. They discuss many aspects of his work and ideas; the letters' themes are often prompted by press cuttings sent regularly to him by Scully.
Thirty-two autograph or typed letters from Sean O'Casey to Seamus Scully
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Elliott Collection MS O'Casey
- Dates of Creation1949-1960
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 item, held in 1 vol.; manuscript and typescript. All the letters are held in individual transparent plastic envelopes within a custom-made box covered in blue cloth bearing the gilt lettering 'Sean O'Casey/ Letters to Sculley [sic]/ 1949-60'.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sean O'Casey (1880-1964), the Irish dramatist and author. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
The gift of Fay and Geoffrey Elliott, 2002.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are also described in the Library's handlist of the Fay and Geoffrey Elliott Collection (handlist 148) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/handlists/148Elliott.pdf