Comprises 30 autograph letters to or from members of the Fox-Strangways family, notably the 3rd Earl and the Countess of Ilchester, Mary Eleanor Anne Dawson, dated between 1802 and 1910, but with some letters undated, 1 manuscript poem composed for Lady Holland, 1 unidentified portrait photograph of an elderly man, and 1 printed portrait of 'The Right Honourable Catherine Maria, Countess of Charleville, engraved by Thomson from a painting by Hamilton', which appears to be unconnected with the majority of the other pieces held in the collection.
Miscellaneous correspondence associated with the third earl of Ilchester and others, with some related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Fox-Strangways
- Dates of Creationca. 1802-1910
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description30 letters, 1 poem, 1 photograph, and 1 printed portrait, all held in 1 envelope, manuscript, photograph, and printed material.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Earls of Ilchester were landowners in the west country. The 6th Earl, Giles Stephen Holland Fox-Strangways (1874-1959) was also a historian and owned Holland House, Kensington. Some members of the family became involved in political affairs during the nineteenth century.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Quaritch/Sotheby's on 17 November 1981.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#foxstrangways