Sir Ernest Henry Phelps 1906 - 1994
Ernest Phelps was born in Calne, Wiltshire and educated at Taunton School andWadham College, Oxford. He was a Fellow of New College, Oxford 1930 - 1947(Honorary Fellow 1987), and a Rockefeller Travelling Fellow in USA 1930 -1931. From 1947 he was Professor of Economics of Labour, University ofLondon, until 1968, when he became Emeritus Professor. He was also a memberof the Council on Prices, Productivity and Incomes (1959), NationalDevelopment Council (1962), and the Royal Commission on Distribution ofIncome and Wealth (1974 - 1978). From 1966 to 1968 he was Chairman of theTavistock Institute of Human Relations, and also President of Royal EconomicSociety 1970 - 1972.
He was knighted in 1989.
His publications include:
- The Framework of the Pricing System (1936)
- The Growth of British Industrial Relations (1959)
- A Course in Applied Economics (1959)
- The Economics of Labour (1962)
- A Century of Pay (1968)
- The Inequality of Pay (1977)
- The Origins of Trade Union Power (1983)