192 manuscript letters to his parents from Chatham and from Egypt/Palestine, with manuscript handlist (13 June 1915-2 October 1918); 67 picture postcards (8 January-18 February 1919, nd); 22 photographs (August 1915-August 1917, nd); Postcard (nd); 2 pen and ink sketches (1916); Easter greetings card, with dried flowers (1918); Egyptian stamp, with typescript description (nd); Photocopy of letter found on Turkish soldier taken POW (Prisoner of War), June 1915, with letter of translation from Dr I. Metin Kunt (3 November 1997); Photograph album (1916-1917, nd); Scrapbook of tickets, cards, certificates, sketches, maps, photographs and miscellaneous papers (November 1915-March 1919); Portrait photograph of Major-General H.B.H. Wright (nd); Manuscript letter to unknown correspondent (9 December 1917); Manual of field engineering (1911); Christmas card 'Greetings from the Holy Land' (December 1917); Booklet "History of the West Riding (Doncaster) Group Home Guard" (16 May 1943); Bible Active Service Testament, 1914-1915 (1915); Booklet The Holy Gospel according to St. John (nd); Published booklet of photographs of Palestine (nd); Egyptian style greetings card (December 1916); Official publication A Brief Record of the Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force (1919).
Frank Day papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-liddlecollectionep015
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection EP 015
- Dates of Creation1911-1997
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Turkish
- Physical Description2 boxes; manuscript (partly photocopy), typescript, photographs, postcards, and printed material. Includes Easter and Christmas greetings cards and a scrapbook including tickets and maps.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Frank Doughty Day (1892-1944) was a Sapper and Acting Sergeant, Royal Engineers, serving in Egypt/Palestine, November 1915-October 1918, and was twice mentioned in Despatches for draughtsmanship.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
The papers were placed in the Collection by Mrs J. Wilkinson (daughter).
In English, but with a little Turkish.
Other Finding Aids
Egypt/Palestine catalogue (hard copy) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available