Comprises: (1) Literary papers of William G. Shepherd, including (a) 5 partial or complete typescripts of his poems, or translations, including some Odes of Horace (partly photocopy), Ovid's Loves, The Gifted Child, and The First Zone of the Growth Furnace, the latter held in a folder; (b) 1 paste-up of his translation of Three Odes of Horace (1977); and (c) 4 published pamphlets containing collections of his poems, entitled, The Antonine Poems (1976), Three Odes of Horace (1977), The First Zone of the Growth Furnace (1983), and The Gifted Child (1991); and (2) His autograph manuscript and typescript correspondence (chiefly with John [Welch]), partially dated ca. 1976 - 1991, concerning his own poetry and its publication by the Many Press.
Literary papers and correspondence of William G. Shepherd
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionms20cshepherd
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS 20c Shepherd
- Dates of Creation1976-1991
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 box; manuscript, typescript, and printed material (some photocopy).
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
William Guy Shepherd, the poet and translator, was born in 1935 and read English at Jesus College, Cambridge. He has worked in the electronics industry and lives in north London. He specialises as a translator of classical Latin love poetry, and some of his own poems have been published in London by the Many Press, which was founded by John Welch in 1975.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Huggett/Cox, 1 December 1992.