A continuous run of journals, preoccupied in the main with Upward's progress (and frustrations) as a writer. The journals record the planning and development of Upward's novels in terms of plot and characterisation, and also record the psychological journey of their writing. The journals are not diaries as such, and therefore sometimes omit to record aspects of Upward's life that diaries would usually include, but they record vividly the course of Upward's inner life and particularly his determination to complete The Spiral Ascent.
Edward Upward: Journals
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 58 Add MS 89002/1
- Alternative Id.(ark) ark:/81055/vdc_100000000083.0x00013a
- Dates of Creation1924-2002
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description76 notebooks
Scope and Content
Not Public Record(s)
Received from Katherine Allinson (daughter) in August 2009. The journals were retained by Upward during his lifetime.