Correspondence and papers relating to Joseph Toynbee and George Toynbee, including two volumes and a notebook compiled by Joseph's eldest daughter, Gertrude.
Papers of Joseph Toynbee, FRS, and George Toynbee
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 535, e. 210-11; Eng. misc. d. 1211, e. 1328
- Dates of Creation1821-66, 1944
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description5 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Joseph Toynbee (1815-1866) was an aural surgeon. George Toynbee (d ? 1841), a landowner and a large tenant-farmer in Lincolnshire, was his father. Details for Joseph Toynbee are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were given to the Library in 1982.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.