Correspondence and papers relating to Joseph Toynbee and George Toynbee, including two volumes and a notebook compiled by Joseph's eldest daughter, Gertrude.
Papers of Joseph Toynbee, FRS, and George Toynbee
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 535, e. 210-11; Eng. misc. d. 1211, e. 1328
- Dates of Creation1821-66, 1944
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description5 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Joseph Toynbee (1815-1866) was an aural surgeon. George Toynbee (d ? 1841), a landowner and a large tenant-farmer in Lincolnshire, was his father. Details for Joseph Toynbee are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were given to the Library in 1982.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.