Lewis's papers consist of deposited manuscripts, including literary manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, essays and notebooks; letters and papers; a fair copy of The Dark Tower; photocopies of papers held predominantly by Wheaton College; and microfilms.
Papers of C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 Dep. c. 761-5, c. 771-7; d. 241-7, d. 415, d. 808-11; e. 381; MSS. Eng. lett. c. 220/1-7, c. 835, c. 853-5, c. 861-2; Eng. misc. c. 1109; Facs. b. 49-51, b. 90-1; c. 47-50, c. 53-4, c. 121; d. 135, d. 144 fols. 47-81, d. 263-7, d. 290, d. 297; Film 1638, 1825-30, 1835-7; Photogr. c. 11, fols. 48-85
- Dates of Creation19th century-1988
- Language of MaterialEnglish, and Latin.
- Physical Description65 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Clive Staples Lewis (1898-1963) was a writer and scholar. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers in this collection were acquired by the Library from various sources between 1968 and 1989.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full catalogue is available in the Library.
Alternative Form Available
Copies of the papers are held by the Marion E. Wade Center, Wheaton College, Illinois.
The originals of the majority of the photocopies in the collection are held by the Marion E. Wade Center, Wheaton College, Illinois.