Diana Harrison and Amelia Uden, from the UCA Textile Department, described these as notes by Marianne Straub 'a lot towards her book and all the Royal College looms etc.' There are 70 sheets of mainly good-quality paper bearing notes in ink and coloured diagrams (some of which are titled 'Jacquards at RCA'), 3 sheets of thin paper bearing monochrome diagrams and pencil notes, 2 'folders' of monochrome diagrams with pencil writing in German, a sheet of diagrams of 'various knots', 2 sheets of photocopied diagrams of spinning machine and treadle looms, photocopies from publications (10 sheets on finishing of cloth and 1 sheet, with the title page, in a Scandinavian language), and dozens of pencil diagrams, possibly drafts for her book on Hand Weaving and Cloth Design .
Technical notes and diagrams by Marianne Straub
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 2941 MST
- Dates of Creation[1920s-1970s?]
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish German
- Physical Description1 large file.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Marianne Straub (1909-1994) was a Swiss-born textile designer who worked with Ethel Mairet at Gospels, as consultant to woollen mills on behalf of the Rural Industries Bureau, and, from 1937, for Helios (later part of Warner and Sons Ltd). She began teaching when she took a part-time position in the late 1950s at the Central School in London, and went on to teach at many institutions, including the Royal College of Art and the West Surrey College of Art at Farnham. In 1972 she was appointed Royal Designer for Industry by the Royal Society of Arts, and in 1985 she was appointed OBE. She was a founding trustee of the Crafts Study Centre and wrote Hand Weaving and Cloth Design , published in 1977.
The papers are arranged as found:
- MST/1 Notes with coloured diagrams, [1970s?]
- MST/2 Photocopies from publications, [1970s?]
- MST/3 Folders of diagrams annotated in German, [1920s?]
- MST/4 Diagrams of spinning machine and treadle looms, [1970s?]
- MST/5 Notes on weaving, with coloured diagrams, [1970s?]
- MST/6 Notes on looms, [1970s]
- MST/7 Notes on twill weaves, [1970s]
- MST/8 Notes and diagrams on 'Various knots', [1970s?]
- MST/9 Loose diagrams, [1970s?]
- MST/10 Notes on pile weaving, [1970s?]
Archive material may be viewed by appointment only.
This entry was compiled by Greta Bertram, Crafts Study Centre Curator, June 2020.
Other Finding Aids
Catalogue on Crafts Study Centre database. A pdf copy is available on request.
Conditions Governing Use
Written permission must be sought before any archival material is published.
Marianne Straub, Hand Weaving and Cloth Design , Pelham Books, 1997.