Sir Edgar Cuthbert Fremantle Whitehead, OBE (1944), CMG (1952), KCMG (1954), was born on the 1 January 1905 and educated at University College, Oxford (BA 1926, MA 1929).
Whitehead's career history:
- War service (1939-1945), in West Africa and with Air Despatch in the United Kingdom
- Member of the Legislative Assembly for Southern Rhodesia (1939-1940, 1946-1953, 1958-1965)
- Acting High Commissioner for Southern Rhodesia in the UK (1945-1946)
- Ministry of Finance, and of Posts and Telegraphs, Southern Rhodesia (1946-1953)
- Member of the Council of the University of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (1955-1958)
- Minister for the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland in Washington (1957-1958)
- Elected MP for Salisbury North constituency (United Federal Party) in Southern Rhodesia General Election (June 1958)
- Minister of Native Affairs (1958-1960)
- Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia (February 1958-December 1962)
- Leader of the Opposition (United Federal Party, 1962-1965)
Whitehead returned to England on retirement in 1965 and died on the 22 September 1971.