Subject files, 1940s-80s; Log, 1980 onwards.
British Air Line Pilots' Association
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 152 MSS.248
- Dates of Creation1940s-1990s
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description[ not recorded ]
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Formed in 1937, the British Air Line Pilots' Association is the sole bargaining union for British civil airline pilots.
Reference: A.N.J. Blain, Pilots and management. Industrial relations in the UK airlines.1972.
Conditions Governing Access
Access : Open except for files containing named individuals.
The archive has been catalogued to fonds level. This is available on-line.
An authority file exists for the British Air Line Pilots' Association (GB 152 AAR1240).
The initial deposit by the British Air Line Pilots' Association was made on the 15th February 1983. This and subsequent accruals are listed below.
- 15th February 1983 : the Log 1980-3, collected from BALPA by Alistair Tough [gift];
- 9th February 1989 : 20 cartons of files, collected by university van [indefinite loan];
- 11th June 1998 : 10 archive boxes re pensions, 1980s-90s, collected by Christine Woodland [indefinite loan].
Deposit of the Log is on-going.