Conference minutes, papers, 1982, 1985-9, 1994-5; publications, journals, 1985-94; press releases, 1990-4; rule books, 1985-95; research files incl. privatisation, 1983-6; Women's Advisory Committee subject files, 1985-1990s.
National Communications Union
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb152-mss.135c
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 152 MSS.135C
- Dates of Creation1982-1995
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description[ not recorded ]
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The National Communications Union was formed in 1985 by the merger of the Post Office Engineering Union with the Postal and Telecommunications Group of the Civil and Public Services Association. In January 1995 this union amalgamated with the Union of Communication Workers to form the Communication Workers' Union.
Reference: 75 years. A short history of the POEU.POEU, 1962 ; F. Bealey, The Post Office Engineering Union : the history of the Post Office Engineers, 1870-1970.London, 1976.
Conditions Governing Access
The archive has been given the classification MSS.135 together with a unique suffix to indicate that it is a constituent part of the papers of the National Communications Union (now itself part of the Communication Workers' Union). Other material relating to this union can be found in the papers of the Post Office Engineering Union's Research Department (MSS.135B/RD) .
An authority file exists for this corporate body (GB 152 AAR1059).
Constituents of the National Communications Union and related organisations which have some records located at the Centre include : the Post Office Engineering Union (MSS.135/EU) ; the Post Office Engineering Union Research Department (MSS.135B/RD) ; the Post Office Amalgamated Engineering and Stores Association (MSS.135/EU) ; the Amalgamated Society of Telephone Employees (MSS.135/AS) ; the National Society of Telephone Employees (MSS.135/NS) ; the Post Office Engineering and Stores Association (MSS.135/ES) ; the Postal Telegraph and Linemen's Movement (MSS.135/LM) ; the Amalgamated Association of the Postal Telegraph Engineering Department (MSS.135/AA) ; the Union of Communication Workers (MSS.148/UCW) ; the Society of Post Office Executives (MSS.124) ; the Council of Post Office Unions (MSS.89) ; and the Communication Managers' Association (MSS.225/CM) .
The initial deposit relating to the archive of the National Communications Union was made in July 1976 and accruals are listed below.
- 19th and 21st July 1976 : 2 van loads collected by Janet Druker [indefinite loan];
- 7th December 1978 : 1 parcel of Whitley Council minutes received by post [indefinite loan];
- 25th July 1990 : 11 volumes of POEU journal [indefinite loan];
- 7th July 1997 : 92 bankers' boxes received by van [indefinite loan];
- 5th November 1997 : 15 archive boxes received by van [indefinite loan];
- nd : POEU 1964 journal from Ramsgate Library [indefinite loan];
- 11th November 1998 : Photo conference, 1962 posters received by post [indefinite loan].