- Catalogue of the Hepburn Collection of Birds, 6 volumes, entries of specimens 1-1529, with dates from 1852-1869.
- Notes on the Birds of California, 3 volumes, with observations on birdlife.
- Notes on the Birds of western North America, 2 volumes.
- Catalogue of Eggs in the Hepburn Collection, 1 volume, with alphabetical entries listing origin, date, collector and description. Most entries have dates in the 1860s.
- List of Birds in the Hepburn Collection, 2 volumes, with descriptions of American birds.
Papers on Birds and Mammals
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 433 Hepburn
- Dates of Creation1850-1869
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description14 volumes
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
James Edward Hepburn (1811-1869) studied at St. John College, University of Cambridge. He settled in San Francisco, where he made numerous observations on wildlife. He bequeathed his collection of American mammals and birds to the University Museum of Zoology, accessioned in 1869.
Conditions Governing Access
Manuscripts can be consulted on appointment only. The Museum of Zoology is open Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 17:00 pm. Access and reproduction is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Description compiled by Kees Rookmaaker, Archives Hub project archivist.
Other Finding Aids