Includes correspondence between Ferguson-Smith and others covering 1957-1961 (although in his original arrangement this was labelled "1959-1961").
During this period Ferguson-Smith was based at the Moores Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore. Much of the correspondence relates to invitations to visit colleagues in the USA, give lectures and attend seminars and conferences. Most correspondents are in the USA.
As the Malcolm Ferguson Smith correspondence section is particularly large it has been divided into the following series, each with its own separate description:
- UGC 188/3/1, correspondence from 1959-1961;
- UGC 188/3/2, correspondence from 1961-1964;
- UGC 188/3/3, correspondence from 1965-1975;
- UGC 188/3/4, correspondence from 1976-1980;
- UGC 188/3/5, correspondence from 1981-1983;
- UGC 188/3/6, correspondence from 1984-1987;
- UGC 188/3/7, correspondence from 1987-1998;
- UGC 188/3/8, correspondence from 1998-2002;
- UGC 188/3/9, correspondence with Victor Almon McKusick;
- UGC 188/3/10, correspondence with Jennifer A Marshall Graves;
- UGC 188/3/11, references and recommendations.