Essays, reviews and notes of Wentworth Webster, in English, Basque, French and Spanish, with some printed items. The collection includes papers relating to Basque life, history, legends and poetry; Spanish history; French protestantism; and theological subjects.
Papers of Wentworth Webster
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. misc. c. 101-5, d. 102-11, e. 93-9, e. 101, f. 39-40; French d. 9, e. 5-15, f. 2-3; Eng. th. c. 49, e. 29-31; Basque c. 8, e. 9; Spanish e. 2, f. 2; Eng. hist. d. 110; Eng. poet. d. 26
- Dates of Creation1865-1906
- Language of MaterialEnglish, Basque, French, and Spanish or Castilian.
- Physical Description49 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Wentworth Webster (1829-1907) was a Basque scholar and folklorist. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were given to the Library in 1921.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43502-50.