Groups include: village congregation, near Erode; school group "in camp"; lacemakers, Travancore; deputation [including Ralph Wardlaw Thompson and William Bolton] with "native Christians", Tirupatur; Hindu potter and family; baptised Christians including "Paul"; group of women in the temple compound. Other people featured include: fakirs (including at Calcutta); a Mala Christian woman; [William] Hatch "touring in district"; carpenter, Coimbatore; high priests; Brahmin priest; man sewing at Almora; hawker; Mr Stott (teaching young carpenters); ?Tor Choo peasant women carrying pigs. Activities featured include: travelling by bullock-cart in Bengal; worshipping "idols"; pounding ?"gracies"; grinding and pounding grain. Other places or buildings featured include: LMS Chapel, Kaurapukur, Calcutta; banks of Ganges and railway bridge, Sumese Temple, and bathing ghats, Benares [Varanasi]; Tomb of Marshed Ali Khan and market place, Murshidabad; hill fort; "sacred tank"; the maidan, Berhampore [Berhampur]; Medah Medical Mission; carved back of the Temple of Shiva, near Jianganj; cocoa nut avenue, High School building, Coimbatore; "India's southernmost tip" [Cape Comorin]; Tumkur Orphanage; Pareychaley district; earthenware bazaar. Also includes: bull with water "pacenteys". Prints taken by individuals including: Hatch.
Part of sequence of mounted prints, some with captions
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb102-cwm/cwm/lms/09/10/01/014
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 102 CWM/LMS/09/10/01/014
- Former ReferenceGB 102 D112, D113, D114, D115, D116, D118, D119, D120, D121, D12?, D123, D124
- Dates of Creationc.1890 - c.1915
- Physical Description53 sepia or black and white prints mounted on 12 cards
Scope and Content
Conditions Governing Access
Alternative Form Available
1 print features 3 times on these cards. Some marked up for possible publication.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright probably expired