Probably taken at Robert Louis Stevenson's house, Vailima, Samoa. Note on the reverse of the photograph reads, 2This photograph was given to me by Miss Agnes Large - London Missionary to Samoa. The sailors are from a German warship which had called at the island. R.L.S really admired Miss Large and now and then taught in her school. C.W.S." [C.W. Sabin]
Robert Louis Stevenson & Miss Agnes Large, LMS missionary in Samoa & company of German sailors in Samoa
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb102-cwm/cwm/lms/02/10/113
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 102 CWM/LMS/02/10/113
- Dates of Creation[c.1890s]
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 sepia print, 3 copies
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Miss Agnes Eunice Large served as a missionary in the South Seas with the London Missionary Society between 1892 and 1902.
Conditions Governing Access
Items were later transferred to SOAS Library with accruals to the papers of the London Missionary Society (Council for World Mission) in 2012. The booklet is now held in the Council for World Mission Library at SOAS (see note below).
The photograph and a booklet 'Remiscences of Robert Louis Stevenson', by Rev W. Clark were found among the papers of the late C. W. Sabin, and passed to the London Missionary Society in the 1970s by Eleanor Sabin.