Groups include: May meeting congregation outside native church; New Guinea mission group, 1889, comprising [Harry Moore] Dauncey, [Frederick William] Walker, [Albert] Pearse, [William George] Lawes, [James] Chalmers, [Archibald Ernest] Hunt; Mrs Lawes boys and girls; "Pillars of the Church" [four older indigenous men]; group from Kabadi; Gulf 'natives' with Sago. People include: Maiako, ?Koitapu boy. Activities include: girls poling canoe; Lakatoi racing; boys playing game of frog. Places or buildings include: English church; mission settlement and native village; Lawes' mission house; marine church, Kaile. Also includes: Dubu, sacred platform, at Rigo; idol charms at South Cape; still-life of shields, belts etc. Pictures taken by/received from: William George Lawes.
People and places in Port Moresby by William George Lawes
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 102 CWM/LMS/19/10/07/15
- Former ReferenceGB 102 3, 30, 31, 33, 39, 72, 75, 85, 91, 94, 96, 111, 123, 126, 136, 161, 223,
- Dates of Creationc. 1880 - c. 1890
- Physical Description17 albumen prints mounted on 14 boards. Many duplicates of photographs in previous files.
Scope and Content
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by W G Lawes expired.