- MS 1453/107;D Letter to Robert Falcon Scott, 24 January 1905 [On award to Scott of Swedish Geographical Society's Vega medal] 2 leaves, holograph
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Sven Hedin/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation24 January 1905
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionLetter
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The correspondence relates to the accolades Scott received on his return from leading the British National Antarctic Expedition, 1901-1904.
This expedition undertook the first extensive exploration on land in Antarctica. Funding came from the Government, the Royal Society, the Royal Geographical Society and private donations. The expedition set up base at McMurdo Sound. Sledging parties carried out recognisance and scientific programmes.