Contains a transcription of 37 letters written by William Hammond to his parents between 1656 and 1658 concerning his travels in Europe.
Several letters of Mr William Hammond during his three years travells abroad, in France, Italy, Germany, & Holland, written by him unto his father Anthony Hammond Esquire, of Wilberton near Ely, herein inserted & transcrib'd after the same copys, as they were written by him, 1695
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Trv 2
- Dates of Creation1695
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (69 ff.), manuscript. Written in a single fairly neat late-seventeenth-century hand with notes added in later hands. Ff.64v-69 are blank. Bound in contemporary leather which is gilt-embossed and decorated on both covers and the spine, which bears the words LETTERS BY WM. HAMMOND and M.S. 1656-8. There is marbling on both sets of endpapers. On the verso of the front endpaper there are pencilled bibliographical notes in a twentieth-century hand which include a reference to "Ingram MSS".
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
William Hammond is not otherwise known. He is described in a (later eighteenth-century?) note on one of the flyleaves as follows:"Son of Anthony Hammond Esq and Ann his wife daughter of Mr Dudley D[....?] of Chilham Castle. He married his first cousin Eliz[abe]th Marsham daughter of Mr [and] Mrs Marsham."
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Grinke & Rodgers on 18 December 1969.