Twenty-four files of material accumulated by Smiths Gore, surveyors, of Peterborough, Northamptonshire in their role as land agents to the Church Commissioners for England and the latter's predecessors, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Most of the material relates to the Durham Bishopric and Durham Dean and Chapter estates in Co. Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire but there are also some items relating to other areas of the country.
The contents include:
- Correspondence, chiefly ca.1949-1960.
- Accounts and other financial material, probably chiefly 20th century.
- Papers re Co. Durham and Northumberland land tax, including some items re land tax redemption, early 19th century, with some details of fines paid for leases.
- Obsolete tenancy agreements.
- Papers and accounts re woods.
- Files re Boldon, Co. Durham and Dissington, Northumberland properties.
- Collection lists for Billingham, Bishop Middleham and Whitburn, Co. Durham.