The main bulk of the collection contains: Tovey's notes and drafts for radio broadcasts; Tovey's notes and drafts for written works; typescripts of lectures given by Tovey including those on Beethoven delivered in 1922, and typescripts of entries in the Encyclopaedia Britannica; music manuscripts and sketches; Tovey's memoirs and recollections, and Dr. Mary Grierson's notes and biography; material accumulating from uncompleted major projects including notes and drafts relating to the Firth manuscript; material relating to the Reid Orchestra including accounts and administrative items; material on The bride of Dionysus; a small library of written works, a number of which are duplicates; examination papers; posters advertising concerts; concert programmes; press cuttings and reviews; tributes; sketches and photographs; sound recordings; diaries; and, miscellaneous material and letters.
The Tovey Collection
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 237 E2001.37
- Dates of Creation19th century - 20th century
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description42 boxes, circa 100 files, assorted albums, pictures, recordings, and small library of books (1.5 linear metres)