- vde/7/1 Envelope sent from Spain to Housekeeper, Mrs M Middleton. Posted during Spanish Civil War. Donated by D. M. Stewart.
- vde/7/2 Correspondence from Mr John Hamblett dated December 1992 detailing the use of Harlaxton Manor by The First Airborne Division Provost Company (November 1944-August/September 1945). History of Pegasus Memorial in Pegasus Courtyard.
- vde/7/3 Notes from a visit by Mr Pearce, 1998, who visited Manor in childhood 1937/8. Remembers Gold Room being set out as a cinema.
- vde/7/4 05-06-2003 visit to Harlaxton Manor by Mr and Mrs Crane and son, Stephen. Mr Crane's father worked for Mrs Van der Elst 1938-1945. [See other donation by Stephen Crane, 2017]
- vde/7/5 John Crane remembers (the second world war years). Extract from In a Manor of speaking , unpublished staff newsletter, no. 26, September 2009.
- vde/7/6 Anecdotes from Margaret Ashley. Responses from audiences at talks (1990-2000) about Violet Van der Elst
- vde/7/7 Family tree supplied by Dillys Hart (nee Butler)
- vde/7/8 Handwritten notes about Joe H. Shillshire, undated, source unknown (James Kearney?)
- vde/7/9 Grantham Electrical Staff photograph, 1936. Appeared in Grantham Journal Memory Lane, 23-06-2000. Includes notes above occupants of Gatehouse - Mr and Mrs Wheeler, Ruth and Jack Steele
Violet Van der Elst - Memories of staff and visitors
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3454 vde/7
- Dates of Creation1992 - ongoing
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Collection of memories of former staff and visitors to Harlaxton Manor during Violet Van der Elst's ownership. Includes soldiers stationed at Harlaxton Manor during World War 2.
Chronological within folder; Violet Van der Elst box
Added by Linda Dawes, College Librarian, March 2017