- 5 notebooks mainly on Greek history and literature
- a small box file of notes
- a set of lecture notes
- 2 notebooks of personal reflections & quotations
- 2 bundles of envelopes addressed to Abbott, dated 1894-1895. These probably contained reminiscences of Jowett sent to Abbott for use in Abbott & Campbell's biography of Jowett.
- several letters addressed to Abbott
- newspaper cuttings of Abbott's obituaries
- a Latin-English dictionary formerly belonging to Abbott
Papers of Evelyn Abbott
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Abbott, Evelyn, Fellow of Balliol. Born 10 March 1843; 3rd son of Evelyn Abbott, of Epperstone, Notts. Education: Somerset College, Bath; Balliol College, Oxford, 1862-1870 (Exhibitioner); Gaisford verse Prize 1864; 1st Classics Mods; 1st Litterae Humaniores 1866; BA and MA 1873. In Easter Vacation 1866 fell in a hurdle race and injured his spine; paralysed from autumn 1866. Assistant Master, Clifton College, 1870-1873; Fellow of Balliol 1874-1901; Tutor, Corpus Christi College, Oxford, 1873-5; Lecturer and Classical Tutor, Balliol from 1875, Junior Bursar 1882, Jowett Lecturer 1895, Librarian 1881-1897; Classical Moderator 1883, 1893, 1894. LLD St Andrews 1879. Died 3 September 1901.
Conditions Governing Access
Most, if not all, of the material at Balliol by 2000 was given to Balliol College by Prof Arnold J Toynbee in 1955, 1956 and 1974. Additional items were given by Penelope Schenk in 2011.
Other Finding Aids
The archival catalogue of these papers is online at http://archives.balliol.ox.ac.uk/Modern%20Papers/abbott.asp
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
bound volumes and loose papers
Description by Anna Sander, September 2015.
Conditions Governing Use
This material is not copyright Balliol College.
This material will be retained permanently.
No accruals expected.
Location of Originals
This material is original.