- MS 761/9;D Letter to Reginald Pound, 27 June 1965 [Enclosing letter from Robert Falcon Scott to Dr Leeper, 22 October 1910 and letter from Kathleen Scott to Dr Leeper, 16 July 1913 relating to a volumes of poetry which was given to Scott by Dr Leeper] typescript
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Dr V A Leeper/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation22 October 1910 - 27 June 1965
- Name of Creator
- Physical Description1 letter with 2 enclosures.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The British Antarctic Expedition, 1910-1913 (leader Robert Falcon Scott) spent two winters at Cape Evans on Ross Island. After successfully reaching the South Pole on 17 January 1912 Scott and his companions (Henry Bowers, Edgar Evans, Lawrence Oates and Edward Wilson) perished during the return journey.
The correspondence relates to Scott and the poetry by Tennyson which was inscribed on a memorial left on the Barrier (Ross Ice Shelf) marking the final resting place of Scott, Wilson and Bowers. Dr Leeper supplied the poetry book from which the lines were taken.