Papers of Edward Bensly, mainly relating to the identification of quotations used by 17th- and 18th-century authors, including Robert Burton, Jeremy Taylor and William Drummond of Hawthornden.
Papers of Edward Bensly
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. misc. c. 724-5, d. 1103, e. 1135, f. 642-3, g. 212-13
- Dates of Creation1882-1936
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description8 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Edward Bensly (1863-1939) was an English scholar. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk).
The papers were given to the Library, ca. 1940.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 44742-9.