The collection comprises:
- Bundle of loose papers recording administrative statistics associated with the Department of Natural Science at University College Nottingham, 1902-1907 (MS 148/1/1).
- Student lists, 1912-1946 (MS 148/1/2).
- Account book and loose leaf items formerly enclosed inside, 1913-1946 (MS 148/1/3).
- Testimonials and references, 1921-1946 (MS 148/1/4).
- File of office and other instructions, 1924-1944 (MS 148/1/5).
- Examination results and terminal reports, 1926-1929 (MS 148/1/6).
- Correspondence and attached papers. Correspondents include members of the British Museum's departments of geology and natural history, 1929-1937 (MS 148/1/7).
- Papers relating to coal mining at Basford, Nottinghamshire and the concerns of the firms of Messers W.E. Saxby Ltd and Messers George Spencer Ltd who had factories nearby, 1954 (MS 148/1/8).
The collection consists of a small number of academic papers of Professor Swinnerton together with incomplete records from various administrative series from his academic department. It is not a comprehensive archive but provides some coverage for an area and period in the University's teaching history which is otherwise little known. The papers for instance demonstrate the scheduling and popularity of geology at University College Nottingham between the wars.