A collection of published books and resources relating to children's literature.
The collection includes:
- Runs of around 40 children's literature journals
- Reference works such as "Children's Literature Review"
- Books on the history of children’s literature
- Biography and autobiography of children’s authors and illustrators
- Children's books of historical interest and significance, mainly from the 19th and early-20th Centuries.
- A number of newly published children’s books, usually prize winners, are added to the collection each year.
- Foreign books including contemporary picture books in Japanese and French as well as international translations into English
- Adaptations of children's books: film, TV and audio
The collection of children's books also contains several smaller collections, with some of the largest of these being:
- The Bratton Collection: A collection of 900 books, dating 19th Century-20th Century, deposited by Professor Jacqueline Bratton, a previous member of staff at Roehampton Institute London (now known as the University of Roehampton).
- The Sharpe Collection: A collection of books dating 18th Century-20th Century, previously held at Whitelands College within the Univeristy of Roehampton.
- The Streatfeild Collection: A collection of works by author Noel Streatfeild, dating 20th Century, which have been deposited by a private collector.
- The Street Children Collection: A collection of fiction books about street children, dating late-19th Century to early-20th Century, and deposited by a private collector.
- Hammersmith and Fulham Early Children’s Books Collection: A collection of books dated 18th Century to early-20th Century, deposited by Hammersmith and Fulham Libraries.