- Letters written to parents from northern Nigeria, 1938-1939
- Letters and diary extracts on journey out via Egypt and then from Cyprus,as Administrative Officer and Private Secretary to the island's Governor, 1942-;letters written on service with the R.A.F., 1943-1946
- Letters to father from northern Nigeria, 1946-1951
- Bound volumes of transcripts of letters written home from Nigeria,1936-1942, 1946-1949
- Bound volume of transcripts of letters written home from Cyprus,1942-1943
- Bound volume of transcripts of letters written while on war servicewith the R.A.F. in Southern Rhodesia, the Middle East and Britain, 1943-1946
- Diaries written in Nigeria, 1937-1938
- Personal correspondence with Colonial Officers and others in Nigeriaamd elsewhere, 1936-1947
- Letters from [Sir] Charles and Ivy Woolley, and one from Lady VioletBourdillon, from Nigeria, Cyprus and England, 1940-1943
- Miscellaneous letters, memoranda and reports relating to service inNigeria and Cyprus, 1940-1955
- Letters received, and memoranda relating to service as educationofficer, 1948-1960, with some later letters, 1979-1983
- Letters from students in northern Nigeria, with other letters abouteducation, 1944-1964
- Thank you and social letters received, 1947-1961
- Lists of birds seen in Nigeria, 1941, with plan and offprint of article,[20th century]
- Accounts of journey by car across the Sahara, 1937-1938
- Photographs of northern Nigeria, 1937
- Photographs of trans-Sahara journey, 1937
Papers of Robert Hepburn Wright
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 515
- Dates of Creation[1936-1964]
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description5 boxes
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Robert Hepburn Wright (b 1913) started work as a cadet, Nigeria, 1936, asan assistant district officer, 1939 and assistant principal, Colonial Office(on secondment), 1942. He served as an administrative officer, Cyprus (onsecondment), 1942-1943 and saw active service with the R.A.F. in SouthernRhodesia and Britain, 1943-1946. He took a post as assistant district officer,northern Nigeria, 1946, district officer, 1946 and education officer, northernNigeria, 1948-1952.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library ofCommonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
A handlist is available in the library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.