4 pocket note book diaries (January 1914-January 1916); 2 medical diaries with loose notes (1914-1915); bundle of personal and medical letters, postcards and newspaper cuttings (ca. 1914-1916); 3 maps / sketch plans of Duala, etc (ca. 1914); file of manuscript recollections, with photographs and related papers enclosed (nd); framed portrait photograph; photograph album with printed German captions (nd); small Kodak camera.
N.S. Deane papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection AF 02
- Dates of Creation1914-1916
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish German
- Physical Description2 boxes; manuscript, photographs, postcards, press cuttings, and printed material. Includes 3 maps and a small Kodak camera.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
N.S. Deane served with the West African Medical Service, attached to the West African Rifles (West African Expeditionary Force). He was present in the Cameroons from 1914 to 1916, and witnessed the SS Appam incident.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
The papers were placed in the Collection by Mrs N. Page (daughter) in ca. 1987. See Research Correspondence File.
In English, but with a little German.
Other Finding Aids
West Africa catalogue (Cameroons and Togoland) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available