Report books are written by John Graham for the Stockton and Darlington Railway Committee. Most reports are initialled or signed by one of the Directors such as Edward Pease, Joseph Pease, Joseph Pease Jr, John Pease, Jonathan Backhouse, Henry Pease and Henry Stobart. The reports give details of incidents on the line including fines issued and damage incurred.
Report Books of John Graham, Stockton and Darlington Railway Employee
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Graham became the Head Underground Overlooker at Heaton Colliery. He was appointed Traffic Superintendant of the Stockton and Darlington Railway 1831-1849. He held the position of Mining Engineer for the Pease family collieries whilst he worked for the Stockton and Darlington Railway.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is given in accordance with the NRM access policy. Material from this archive is available to researchers through the Search Engine reading room.
Search Engine is open to the public Wednesday to Saturday 10.00-4.45. You don't need an appointment to use the library collection but you will need to book at least a week ahead if you wish to look at archival material.
To make a booking, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend you contact us at least one week before your visit.
Address: Search Engine, National Railway Museum, Leeman Road, York, YO26 4XJ.
Check full details on the website at: http://www.nrm.org.uk/ResearchAndArchive/enquiriesandvisiting.aspx
Purchased by the Science Museum from Orion Booksellers Ltd in 1943 and transferred to the National Railway Museum, 2005.
Other Finding Aids
Collections searchable online at:
Alternative Form Available
Transcript available (some pages missing).
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
Four leather covered volumes, each 19 x 11.5 cm or less. Good condition.
Description prepared by Alison Kay (Project Archivist), December 2010. The qualifier ‘Stockton and Darlington Railway Employee’ has been added to Graham, John to distinguish him with others of the same name.
Created by Jane Ronson (Archives Hub team) using the Archives Hub EAD Editor, January 2015.
Conditions Governing Use
Copies may be supplied of items in the archive, provided that the copying process used does not damage the item or is not detrimental to its preservation. Copies will be supplied in accordance with the NRM’s terms and conditions for the supply and reproduction of copies, and the provisions of any relevant copyright legislation.
John Graham’s report books are part of a large artificial collection that has been split up. Material originated from the private collection of John Phillamore. Phillamore was a Motoring Correspondent for The Times, he collected various material relating to railways including prints, drawings, books, archival documents and pottery. Phillamore died in 1940, his collection was offered for sale at Southerby’s auctioneers in 1942 and bought en bloc by Orion Booksellers Ltd. In 1943 parts of the original collection was offered for sale again at Sotherby’s by Orion Booksellers, the collection was split up and sold to several parties. John Graham’s report books along with some other items were part of an unsold lot. Orion Booksellers Ltd subsequently sold unsold items including John Graham’s report books to the Science Museum, London in 1943.
Location of Originals
For further publications see the NRM’s library catalogue
- The history of the first public railway : (Stockton & Darlington) the opening day, and what followed / edited by M. Heavisides. Stockton-on-Tees : Heavisides & Son, 1912.
- [S.l.] : Transport Museums, 1976. The beginnings of the Stockton & Darlington Railway : people and documents, 1813-25 : a celebratory note / by P. L. Cottrell and G. Ottley. Leicester : Leicester University Press, 1975.
- Emett, Charlie. The Stockton & Darlington Railway : 175 years / Charlie Emett. Stroud : Sutton, 2000.
- Holmes, P. J. (Peter John), 1929- The Stockton and Darlington Railway, 1825-1975 / by P. J. Holmes. Ayr : First Avenue Publishing, [1975?].
- Kirby, M. W. The origins of railway enterprise : the Stockton and Darlington Railway, 1821-1863 / Maurice W. Kirby. Cambridge ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- McDougall, C. A. The Stockton & Darlington Railway, 1821-1863 / by C. A. McDougall. Durham : Durham County Council, 1975.
- Pearce, T. R. (Tom R.), 1920- The locomotives of the Stockton & Darlington Railway / T. R. Pearce. [Southwell : Historical Model Railway Society, c1996].
- Pearce, T. R. (Tom R.), 1920- The early locomotives of the Stockton & Darlington Railway / T. R. Pearce. [S.l.] : North East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders, 1988.
- Proud, John H. The chronicle of the Stockton & Darlington Railway to 1863 / John H. Proud. [Hull] : North Eastern Railway Association, 1998.
- Semmens, P. W. B. (Peter William Brett) The Stockton & Darlington Railway : its construction, opening and historical significance / by Peter W. B. Semmens. [S.l.] : Transport Museums, 1976.
- Semmens, P. W. B. (Peter William Brett) Exploring the Stockton & Darlington Railway / by P. W. B. Semmens. Newcastle upon Tyne : Frank Graham, 1975.
- Tweddell, George Markham, b. 1832 The history of the Stockton and Darlington Railway : and its various branches, from its commencement to the present time / by George Markham Tweddell. Stokesley : Tweddell and Sons, 1869-1870.
- Wall, John, 1928- First in the world : the Stockton & Darlington Railway / John Wall. Stroud, Gloucestershire : Sutton Publishing, 2001.