Contains reports, agenda papers, minutes and related correspondence.
Association of Principals of Women’s Colleges of Physical Education
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3449 BPEA NAT 1
- Dates of Creation1935 - 1980
- Physical Description11 folders
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The predecessor body of the APWCPE was the Association of Principals of Physical Training Colleges founded in 1935. Its aims were to:
- Furnish opportunity for the discussion of matters relating to the study of Physical Education and to the training of teachers and/or Youth Leaders;
- Take such action as may be deemed advisable for the protection and furtherance of educational and professional interests
As a consequence of the reorganisation of colleges brought about by Circular 7/73 issued by the Department of Education and the subsequent absorption of physical education colleges into colleges of higher education, the Association was wound up in 1976. It held its final formal meeting on 29 April 1976. However, informal meetings continued at least until December 1977.
The Principal of Bedford College of Physical Education, Eileen Alexander, served as Honorary Secretary from 1965 to 1971.