The collection is arranged in four major groups as described below, where the various accession dates of each class of material are also briefly noted.
PAL/1 Durham Court of Chancery Records - Inclosure records [From 1954/1955 accession unless otherwise stated]
- PAL/1/1 Inclosure awards by Chancery decree - awards: PAL/1/1/1-26 Series of 26 items, chiefly inclosure awards by Chancerydecree but also including an inclosure agreement, a wayleave award and a few bills of complaints and orders, 1617-1767, together with the inclosure award and plan under an Act of Parliament of 49 Geo III for Middlehope Moor, 1816, and anapportionment of tithe at Shotton, 1690.
- PAL/1/2 Inclosure awards by Chancery decree - volumes: PAL/1/2/1-4 Four volumes containing certified copies of the entries in the Durham Chancery registrar's entry books of decrees and orders (books K-N, nos.480-483: TNA DURH 4/8-11)concerning inclosure awards by Chancery decree and related documents, 1634-1686, 1716-1717. [1978 accession]
- PAL/1/3 Inclosure by Act of Parliament: PAL/1/3/1 Park and Forest of Weardale (Act 39 Geo III): volume containing draft award, 29 September 1815. PAL/1/3/2 Park and Forest of Weardale (Act 39 Geo III): award, 29 September 1815, with 11 plans.PAL/1/3/3 Gateshead Fell (Act 49 Geo III): award, 26 December 1822, with plans.
PAL/2 Durham Court of Chancery Records apart from Inclosure records (including some stray records from other palatine courts) [From 1954/1955 accession unless otherwise stated]
- PAL/2/1 Chancery registrar's records [ 1986/1987accession ]: Bills of costs, 1701-1775.
- PAL/2/2 Cursitor's records [1986/1987 accession]: 7 packets of writs of Dedimus potestatem and warrants of attorney thereon for recoveries, ca.1710-1785. Miscellaneous documents, chiefly writs, ca.1714-1727 and1760-1820, but also including abstract of the marriage settlement of George Rose of Gateshead, 1766.
- PAL/2/3 Causes and related material (pre-1878): Indexes of plaintiffs in the Court of Chancery, 1720-1742. 1 small tray and 2 boxes of pre-1880 cause papers arranged chronologically, 1708-1878 (with gaps).
- PAL/2/4 Causes and related material (1878 onwards): 11 cause books, 1878-1913; from 1881 onwards a series of numbers (running up to no.1024 at the end of the last book) was assigned to the first entry relating to a case in these books and wasused as the means of reference to the related cause papers and other connected documents. 141 boxes of cause papers arranged numerically up no.1257 (going beyond the last cause book kept in Durham), 1880-1929. 13 boxes of draft orders, nos.4-1110,from the period 1880-1920. Receipts, nos.5-1086, from the period 1880-1920, and notifications and receipts into the court account, 1902-1917. Requests for sale or purchase of consols from the period 1880-1920. Certificates from the period1880-1920.
- PAL/2/5 Miscellaneous books up to 1882: PAL/2/5/1 Court of Chancery enrolment book of solicitors' admissions, ca.1821-1882. PAL/2/5/2 Seal book, 1830-1837. PAL/2/5/3 Cash book, 1860-1864.
- PAL/2/6 Miscellaneous books etc., 1878-1918: PAL/2/6/1-4 Fee books (4 volumes), 1878-1911. PAL/2/6/5-15 Chancery registrar's rough minute books (11 volumes), 1879-1897, 1899 and 1901. PAL/2/6/16-19 Chancery registrar's minute books (4volumes), 1882-1897. PAL/2/6/20-27 Letter books (8 volumes), 1886-1889, 1891-1901. PAL/2/6/28-30 Summons and warrant books (3 volumes), 1889-1915. PAL/2/6/31 Authorizations for postal payments, 1902-1918.
- PAL/2/7 Miscellanea: 5 boxes of unsorted and unlisted Court of Chancery miscellanea, also known to include some strays from other palatine courts, e.g. a few records of the Durham Court of Pleas.
- PAL/2/8 Material relating to Bishop Wood's Charity. [1977 accession]: Thomas Wood, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield 1671 - died 18 April 1692, by his will dated 11 November 1690 left money to trustees appointed by the Durham Court of Chanceryfor the relief and release of poor prisoners for debt in Durham gaol. In 1882 this was changed to a subscription to the Discharged Prisoners' Aid Society at Durham. See also Publication note. Legal papers of actions in the Court of Chancery relatingto Bishop Wood's Charity, 1779 (copy of order) to 1883. Deposited with these papers are various records of the charity, including: trustees' minute book, 1827-1859; correspondence, 1834-1874; annual accounts, 1896-1949 (with gaps); and miscellaneousmaterial, ca.1883-1952.
PAL/3 Durham Court of Pleas Records (including some stray records from other palatine courts and elsewhere) [From 1986/1987 accession unless otherwise stated]
- PAL/3/1 Prothonotary's records: Praecipes for recoveries and draftrecoveries (bundles 6-7, 9-10, 10A and 11-35), 1689-1833 (with 8 booklets compiled ca.1913-1914, after the transfer of these documents from the PRO to Gateshead Library in 1912, and containing numerical lists of the praecipes etc. in the abovebundles, and in the missing bundles 1-5 and 8, together with details of the parties and places involved in each recovery; for the extant bundles, these lists etc. have been incorporated in the catalogue). 2 packets of draft recoveries (nos.427 and429), ca.1770-1777 and 1824-1833. 12 packets (one empty) labelled "Long writs", not yet sorted but sampling suggests the dates are ca.1714-1828. 2 files of appearance pieces (nos. 560 and 566), 1812-1815 and 1832-1840.
- PAL/3/2 Articles of clerkship [ 1954/1955 accession ]: Affidavits for articles of clerkship, 1768-1792. Register of articles of clerkship, 1792-1875.
- PAL/3/3 Lists of justices etc., with some non-Palatinate material [2002 accession, formerly Phillipps MS 20285]: Lists of names of justices for the County Palatine of Durham and Sadberge: the Commission of Pleas, 1800 and 1817-1818; theCommission of the Peace, 1800-1801, 1810-1811 and 1817-1818; the Commission of General Gaol Delivery, 1800; and the Commission of the Peace and the Commission of General Gaol Delivery, no date. List of fees paid by [Thomas Thurlow], Bishop ofDurham, on doing homage to King George III, [February 1787], with attached receipt, 24 February 1787. List of disbursements by Edward Cotterell, [apparently re estate expenses], on account of Francis Canning, Esq, 1 March 1786-18 June 1788. Placesmentioned include [Chipping] Campden and Charingworth, [Gloucestershire].
PAL/4 Volumes relating to the conduct of and fees levied in the palatine courts [From 1954/1955 accession]
- PAL/4/1 Manuscript volume containing details of and agreements relating to the fees levied in the various palatine courts,ca.1810-1841 and n.d.. The volume also contains several loose and pasted in inserts on related topics. Bound in is a copy of a 56pp. printed pamphlet, Tables of fees to be taken by the cursitor of the Courtof Chancery, and prothonotary of the Court of Pleas, at Durham; and the measure of costs in actions and proceedings in the court of Pleas, as the same were allowed and confirmed by that court, by an order dated the 21st day of November, 1775(Newcastle upon Tyne, 1776).
- PAL/4/2 Volume containing another copy of Tables of fees to be taken ... the 21st day of November, 1775 (Newcastle upon Tyne, 1776), annotated in manuscript (inter alia with the name HenryDonkin) and bound with an 8pp. printed pamphlet, A table of the fees to be allowed upon taxation of costs in actions and proceedings in the Court of the Chancery of Durham, by a rule or order, made in opencourt, at a jury day, held at the City of Durham, in and for the said county, the seventh day of June in the year of our Lord, 1809 (Durham, 1809). The volume also includes several pages of manuscript notes re fees, fines and recoveries andthe location of County Durham inclosure records, n.d. [ca. early 19th century].
- PAL/4/3 Manuscript volume entitled The practice of the court of Chancery of the county palatine of Durham. By a solicitor of that court , n.d. [ca.1805-1807]; (published anonymously underan almost identical title, Sunderland, 1807 - see Publication note).