Papers, 1727-1772, deriving from Clive's service in India, primarily official letters, mainly from Clive, 1752-1774, financial records, 1752-1774, and working papers connected with his official duties in the employ of the East India Company, 1727-1772, and especially as governor of Bengal, 1758-1760, 1764-1767.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 210 C.
- Alternative Id.(alternative) vtls004203397(alternative) (WlAbNL)0000203397
- Dates of Creation1727-1772 (accumulated [c.1743]-1772).
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish, Persian, French.
- Physical Description70 vols., 4 envelopes/bundles 30 bundles of Persian letters (to be included)Angen ychwanegu financial records.
- LocationARCH/MSS (GB0210)
Scope and Content
Arranged into nine groups: official correspondence, 1752-1774, contemporary transcripts of official correspondence, 1763-1764, financial papers, 1752-1774, papers relating to civil matters, 1758-1766, papers relating to military affairs, [1749x1754]-1771, Calcutta government records, 1757-1768, East India Company records, 1752-1772, papers relating to Clive's jagir;1758-1767, and acquired papers, 1727-[c. 1763].
Some of the papers post-date Clive's service in India, reflecting the creation of papers that he subsequently 'inherited' and the presence of some papers whose textual continuity or relevance extends beyond the period of his service.
Preferred citation: C.
Other Finding Aids
See series level descriptions.
See fonds level description.