File relating to the British artist Stanley Spencer.
- 1: News cuttings relating to Stanley Spencer from the Spectator and the Bookman, 14 October 1924.
- 2: Bundle of news cuttings relating to Stanley Spencer’s work and exhibitions by Wilenski and P.G. Konody, February–March 1927.
- 3: Envelope of handwritten notes by Wilenski, ‘Extract from letter Dr Charlotte Murray’, 6 November 1948, 2.5 pages.
- 4: News cutting from the New Statesman & Nation entitled ‘The Arts and Entertainment’, written by Basil Taylor, 20 May 1950.
- 5: Issue of Art News and Review, vol. II, no. 8, May 1950, containing an article entitled ‘Portrait of the Artist’ by Elizabeth Rothenstein (incomplete: pp. 3-6 missing).
- 6: Envelope containing a handwritten letter to Wilenski from Stanley Spencer, 31 July 1950.
- 7: Envelope containing two handwritten letters to Wilenski from Stanley Spencer, 5 July 1950, 3 pages.
- 8: Small envelope containing a handwritten letter to Wilenski from Stanley Spencer, 30 August 1952, 2 pages.
- 9: Envelope with handwritten autobiographical notes by Stanley Spencer, n.d., 3 pages.
- 10: News cutting from the Church of England Newspaper and The Record entitled ‘A Nightmare Resurrection’, relating to Stanley Spencer, 10 April 1952.
- 11: Envelope containing a handwritten note to Wilenski from Stanley Spencer, 17 March 1954, 2 pages.
- 12: News cutting of an article by Stanley Spencer entitled ‘The Pursuit of Joy and Peace’.
- 13: Bundle relating to a Stanley Spencer exhibition in Cookham, Berkshire: cuttings from publications such as London Commentary, Bucks Free Press, Maidenhead Advertiser, The Times, Contemporary Review, 23 May 1958–7 June 1958; also typescript letters from The Vicarage, Cookham, regarding numbers and funds raised from Spencer’s exhibition; one envelope containing an issue of the Cookham Church Magazine, June-July 1958; one envelope containing a cutting from the Maidenhead Advertiser, 6 June 1958.
- 14: News cutting of an obituary of Stanley Spencer in The Times.
- 15: Bundle of papers including letters to Wilenski from the BBC relating to Stanley Spencer’s posthumous dedicated news reel, and a letter to Wilenski from Spencer’s daughter, Unity.
- 16: Issue of the Cookham Church Magazine, March 1960.
- 17: Bundle of papers relating to Stanley Spencer’s exhibition in Cookham, including letters from Lord Astor (William Waldorf Astor II, 3rd Viscount Astor), November 1961.
- 18: News cutting from The Sunday Times entitled ‘The Hidden Life of Stanley Spencer’, and news cuttings from the Tablet and The Times, 29 April 1962-27 July 1976.
Former reference: Box 3, File 25.