- Lecture and laboratory notebooks: practical botany, zoology, practical zoology, chemistry, embryology, physiology, clinical surgery, practical pathology, clinical medicine, surgery, practical general physiology 1905-1913
- Academic certificates 1904-1912
- Examination papers 1904-1910
- Club and Society membership cards, including: Greenock Academy Rugby Club, Glasgow University Students' Union, Glasgow University Medico-Chirurgical Society 1902-1910
- Party invitation and patient case sheet undated
- Greenock Academy Rugby Club cap 1905
Papers of Harold Edward Whittingham, 1887-1983, medical student, University of Glasgow, Scotland and Clive Allan Whittingham, 1893-1917, medical student, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 412
- Dates of Creation1902-1913
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description0.27 metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
This collection consists of university material of Air Marshal Sir Harold Edward Whittingham and of his brother, Clive Whittingham, who were medical students at University of Glasgow . The items are Harold Whittingham's unless otherwise stated. The collection was given to the Medical Faculty of the University, by Lady Whittingham, who in turn deposited the material at the University Archives in August 1995. For career details of Air Marshal Sir Harold Whittingham, see entries in Who's Who. At University, he won a number of prizes including the Gairdner Medal for Practice of Medicine. Clive Alan Whittingham served as a Captain in the Special Reserve Royal Army Medical Corps and was killed in World War 1. The papers relating to the subsequent career of Air Marshal Sir Harold Whittingham have been deposited at the Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine.
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received.
Deposit : Medical Faculty, University of Glasgow : August 1995
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom.
Manual file level list available at the National Registers of Archives in Edinburgh (NRA(S)) and London (NRA)
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 0248 procedures
The collection was given to the Medical Faculty of the University, by Lady Whittingham
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material
Description compiled in line with the following international standards: International Council on Archives,ISAD(G) Second Edition, September 1999 and National Council on Archives,Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names
Fonds level description compiled by Andrew Thomson, Hub Archivist, 14 July 2004