- MS 366/15;ER Letters (2) to Robert Falcon Scott, 18 June 1902 and 16 April 1904 [In Papers of the British National Antarctic Expedition, 1901-1904, volume 5 items 8-9] autograph
- MS 1453/76;D Letter to Robert Falcon Scott, 25 July 1912 [Letter of thanks and good wishes] 1 leaf, holograph
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Archibald Douglas/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation18 June 1902-25 July 1912
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionCirca 2 letters
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Scott led two expeditions to the Antarctic, 1901-1904 and 1910-1913. During the former he made the first balloon ascent on the continent and sledged to a furthest south of 82°17'S on 30 December 1902 with Edward Wilson and Ernest Shackleton.
The second expedition saw him successfully attaining the South Pole on 17 January 1912, he and his four companions (Henry Bowers, Edgar Evans, Lawrence Oates and Edward Wilson) perished during the return journey.