Printed and typescript items relating to the Mau Mau emergency in Kenya, 1953.
Papers of Dr. Schuyler Jones
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Afr. s. 2254
- Dates of Creation1953
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description27 ff.
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Dr. Schuyler Jones (b 1930), CBE (1998) was educated at Wichita High School, Kansas, the University of Edinburgh (MA) and the University of Oxford (MA, DPhil), where he lectured in ethnology, 1970-1971. He was Assistant Curator at the Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford, 1971-1985 and Director, 1985-1997.
During his career he took part in the following anthropological expeditions -
- North Africa, the Sahara, West Africa, 1951
- French Equatorial Africa, Belgian Congo, East Africa, 1952
- South Africa, the Zambezi and Congo Rivers, 1953
- French West Africa, the Sahara, 1954
- Eastern Mediterranean, 1956
- Greek Islands, 1957
- Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, 1958
- Pakistan, Kashmir, Afghanistan, 1959
- Nuristan, 1960-1970
- Central China, Gobi Desert, Chinese Turkestan, 1984
- East Africa, 1985
- Central China, Tibet, Gobi Desert, 1986
- South China, Chinese Turkestan, Hunza, Gilgit, 1988
- Greenland, 1991
- East Africa and Greenland, 1993
He was a council member, RAI, 1986-1990 and a trustee of the Horniman Memorial Museum, London, 1989-1994. He also served temporarily in the Kenyan Police Force during the 1950s. He was married twice, in 1955 to Lis Margit Sondergaard, with whom he had one son and one daughter, and in 1998 to Lorraine Christine Vieira.
His publications include the following -
- Under the African sun (London; Hurst & Blackett; )
- An annotated bibliography of Nuristan (Kafiristan) and the Kalash Kafirs of Chitral (Copenhagen; Munksgaard; 1966-1969)
- The Political organization of the Kam Kafirs. A preliminary analysis(Copenhagen; s.d.; 1967)
- Men of influence in Nuristan: a study of social control and dispute settlement in Waigal Valley, Afghanistan (London, New York; Seminar Press, 1974)
- Hunting and trading on the Great Plains, 1859-1875, by James R. Mead, ed. Schuyler Jones (London, Norman; University of Oklahoma Press; c1986)
- Afghanistan (Oxford; Clio; 1992)
- Tibetan nomads: environment, pastoral economy, and material culture (London, Copenhagen; Thames and Hudson, Rhodos International Science and Art Publishers; 1996)
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.