Comprises the complete printed 1684 edition of Joceline's work, with 16 English religious poems and other didactic material added before and after its text.
Didactic and religious verse and prose by Joseph Sparrow, written in at the front and back of Elizabeth Joceline's The mothers legacy to her unborn child, 1684.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 98
- Dates of Creationca. 1705-1706
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. ([xxxii], 119 pp), printed book with manuscript additions. The manuscript additions are written in a single hand on all four flyleaves and on the verso of leaf Q4; they are attributed to Joseph Sparrow and dated 1705 and 1706. The book itself is bound in damaged leather with some blind tooling on the outside covers and spine. At the end, the verso of the last flyleaf bears several signatures of Joseph Sparrow; also of J. Bency (?) and Ann Richards.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Joseph Sparrow is not otherwise known. For further details concerning Elizabeth Joceline (also spelled 'Jocelin' in the National Union Catalog) see the Dictionary of National Biography. For her book see Wing J756.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Christie's on 24 August 1973.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt98