'Abyssinia' was a name given to the Ethiopian empire. This included Ethiopia and various surrounding states/territories, such as Eritrea and Somalia. It existed from the late Middle Ages until the Marxist revolution in 1974. In practice, the names Abyssinia and Ethiopia are both used in the archive.
Material in the Abyssinia/Ethiopia section relates to Emperor Haile Selassie I and to the royal family, as well as to Ethiopia in general. It includes material relating to the Ethiopian royal family's period in exile (1936-1941). It also contains material relating to the economy and administration of Ethiopia, including the post-Second World War period.
There is some overlap between the material relating to Abyssinia/Ethiopia and the material relating to the rest of Africa, in particular relating to the issue of Ethiopian-Eritrean unity. For this material see Add MS 88925/2/19-22.
Add MS 88925/2/1-18 Abyssinia/Ethiopia
- Add MS 88925/2/1-4 Emperor Halie Selassie I
- Add MS 88925/2/5 Private Secretary to the Emperor
- Add MS 88925/6 Ethiopian royal family
- Add MS 88925/7-14 Ethiopian government and economy
- Add MS 88925/15 Italian invasion of Ethiopia
- Add MS 88925/16 Princess Tsahai Memorial Hospital, etc.
- Add MS 88925/17 Political prisoners at Menelik Palace
- Add MS 88925/18 Miscellaneous Ethiopian material